I have a puzzling puzzle. Old laptop with Windows 10 v1607 will not upgrade to v1903.

Myron

Sep 11, 2020
I am stumped. I have an older Intel Pentium 2Ghz Sony VAIO VGN-NS30E_P.

The current v1607 is fully updated and there are no more updates from Microsoft that can be applied. Windows Defender is the only AntiVirus.

Have tried to instal the 1903 Feature update via Windows Setup and also using the update assistant and the result is always the same.

As soon as the windows logo appears and circles start spinning there is a sew seconds hard disk activity and then the entire update process stops and the dots just keep round round chasing each other ling dog chasing its tail.

I am now stumped. I'm trying to keep the software that's installed in-place. Especially the Microsoft Office application and all the Sony VAIO utilities so I really wish to avoid performing a clean-up that will erase everything.

If I force power-off the laptop it will just restart back into v1607 version of Windows like the update was never started.

Are there any v1903 updater log files I can look at to try diagnose this issue of why the Feature Upgrade stalls right at beginning and the actual update just not starting?

Would this help figure out where exactly the issue is?

"\\sony\c\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Rollback\setupact.log"
2020-09-21 10:34:17, Error SP CSetupPlatformOSSwitchCheckpoint::Rollback: Failed to read the rollback GUID from file: C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Rollback\rollbackinfo.ini. Error: 0x00000002[gle=0x00000002]
2020-09-21 10:34:18, Error [setupplatform.exe] IOCTL_STORAGE_QUERY_PROPERTY failed: 0x1
2020-09-21 10:34:18, Error [setupplatform.exe] IOCTL_STORAGE_QUERY_PROPERTY failed: 0x1

Last edited:
May 10, 2020
I would do a clean install with an iso containing the latest updates, but as you said you'd rather not do that...
I recently received an hp laptop which had 1607, network issues.
updating was a real pain and took like a long time.
looking on youtube:
when he tells to delete, I always rename the folder...

goodluck

Myron

Sep 11, 2020
So far I've determined that the first stage of the OS feature upgrade if fine. That happens is when the computer performs its first reboot, it gets stuck, but I shall try to perform an install from a USB flash memory drive.

Oct 9, 2020
Is this resolved now?
If not, have you tried to system restore back a few months then tried doing the updates again, even if it pushed you back a few? I've had issues where it wasn't the chrrent install that was the issue, but the one just prior that actually had the issue preventing the new one from completing.

Myron

Sep 11, 2020
Nope. Not yet resolved. I don't have any options available to wind back the current OS. The feature upgrade stalls immediately after the first reboot. I am considering trying installling the update from a bootable USB flash drive. It's low priority at the moment. I'm perseverating as I would like to understand why this issue is happening. Specifically, is anything being logged when the feature update reboots and where the set-up stalls.

Last edited: